Last week, I received a call from my friend. At first it was just a typical conversation that we usually have until suddenly she confided that she’s battered, and that it’s been going on for more than a year now. I then recalled the bruises that she had on her thighs and arms before. When I asked her she said that she had bumped herself somewhere. I kept quiet. It never came to my mind her husband would do such thing. If you look at him, he’s an ideal husband.

I had said what I needed to tell her – as a concerned friend and sister. Leave him! No second thoughts! I know she’s in loved with the guy but the thing is – it could happen again for the 6th time. Yes, for the 6th time. She had kept a track on how many times it happened and yet she remained quiet about it. She was just crying at that moment. I feel her. Of course, it hurts when the one you love most hurts you – literally! But cmon you can’t stay battered for the rest of your life. What will happen if kids are around you, witnessing the incident? Well, good thing, they don’t have yet.

Since, I was still at work, I told her to keep herself safe and as much as possible hide any sharp objects that she sees in the house – just in case you know… That I’ll try to be there after office hours. 20 minutes before I could leave the office, another call came. It was my friend saying “If I don’t call you after an hour please call the police“. Whaaaaaaaaat? Then that means something is happening again in their house. I panicked and called my husband. But my husband said to calm down and wait for sometime. Wait? Cmon, we don’t know what’s gonna happen in the next few seconds, I have to do something about it. My husband explained and I understood. For some very private reasons, we can’t call the police. Everything will get worst. I didn’t have a choice but to wait. While I was in the transport, I tried calling her again. There was no answer. I sent her a message instead and gave telephone numbers that she could call in case of emergency. I also called the guy, he picked up the call. He told me right away (without being asked) that they were fighting but never admitted that he was hurting her. I asked him sternly, what did you do to her? Instead of answering my question, he said “Ako na lang ang aalis“. So I commanded him “Ngayon na, please lang!!!” But he never did. I had to do something, I won’t let him touch my friend again, never, ever! I picked up my daughter at home (my husband had to go on duty at that time, that’s why) and called a cab to go to their house. On the way, I kept talking to her on the phone and when we were almost there, I told her to come down. I’m really glad she made it down without being harmed for the nth time. She stayed with us that night. I stayed awake comforting her from dusk till dawn. The next day she said that she’d look after my daughter. I agreed, at least for 9 hours her mind will be occupied with something else. On the third day, we checked if the guy was still in their house. Thank God he left and carried all his stuff! I carefully advised her that she should change the door locks for safety purposes, she did. I offered that she should stay with us for the time being but she insisted that she needed time alone, I respected that, of course. I call and check on her from time to time… At this very moment, she’s safe and healing – physically and emotionally…

Mitch Carvalho

A full-time home-based Marketing Manager by day, 24/7 Mom, and a Blogger at any time. I’m 43 and proud. Mom of Derelle & Erchelle, sharing my adventures as I walk through motherhood and having to do most things on my own while my Indian national husband works miles away from home.