Before 6am yesterday, we were already at the Bahrain Specialist Hospital‘s Admissions Office waiting to get, well, admitted…
Admission was done quickly. Before 7am, we were already accompanied to our room. Neat and clean, no issues at all. My husband was prepped as scheduled. Extra linens and pillows were even given for me to use.
At half past 7am, nurses came in to tell us that they will already take him to the Operating Room. So we went… I was told that I can wait at the Waiting Area or be in the room, all up to me. I chose to stay, of course, and waited outside, keeping my in-laws and children updated at the same time.
At half past 10am, the doctor called me in. I thought the procedure was successfully done ‘coz it’s been more than 2 hours already – only to tell me that it isn’t done yet as the HVAC Systems shut down. And for major procedures like this, AC is very important as it helps prevent cross-contamination, etc.
I wondered and asked “It’s been more than 2 hours, why are you telling me now? All the while I thought it was done.” The doctor confirmed that they were also asked to wait, hoping that it will be resolved soon. In fact, the full team was all set ready to operate. Derrick was already given the spinal anaesthesia. At the time when the doctor called me in, they were just waiting for the anaesthesia to wear off.
I was even told that the AC systems were malfunctioning already hours before the scheduled surgery but the Maintenance Team I guess have all hoped that it will be repaired in time for the procedures scheduled that day.
Half an hour later, he’s out along with the other patients. We were then advised to just wait for the updates but rest assured that everything was also reported to the bosses.
It’s beyond our control I know, not even the doctor’s fault because he was there on time with his team, and was so kind to tell me the whole thing that has happened, BUT if there was proper coordination done beforehand – it would’ve been fair and easier for everyone.
At 9pm, the doctor came to tell us that it’s not happening the next day, so we still need to wait for the next schedule. In short, we only stayed in the hospital overnight just waiting for updates, and for the anaesthesia to completely wear off.
Service wise, no complaints at all. Everyone was accommodating, and apologetic because of what happened. Feedbacks were also taken before we were discharged this morning.
As expected, Derrick was disappointed and stressed, so I told him that maybe 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝘀 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗾𝘂𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿. So there, it will be another week of waiting but hopefully it will all be sorted out within the week.