Having no ingredients available at home and with a gloomy day giving me reason not to go to the market, I, then settled for Buttered Prawns with the help of a fellow blogger’s posted recipe in her blog Tara Let’s Eat! Thanks Jen! I lack of spring onions and cornstarch though but managed to get the same taste as Dampa’s (hopeful here!) and presentation haha!
1 kilo prawns
1 cup Sprite
1 tablespoons cooking oil
6 tablespoons butter
2 small onions
6 big cloves of garlic, minced
1 small ginger, crushed
1 tablespoon ketchup
6-8 pcs. calamansi
salt and pepper to taste
If you noticed, compared to Jen’s recipe, I doubled the amount of butter and garlic since I used up 1 kilo of prawns, and reduced the amount of ketchup to 1 tbsp. coz I added calamansi extract during the marination process.
That’s my eldest daughter, Deye helping me extract the calamansi.
(1) Marinate prawns in Sprite for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove from marinade. Set aside marinade.
(2) In a pan, heat oil, then add the butter. This is one good tip that I learned from a colleague. When you are using butter as your ingredient, always pour a little amount of cooking oil first so the butter won’t burn.
(3) Saute onions, garlic and ginger.
(4) Stir in prawns. Add half of the marinade that you’ve set aside and the rest of the ingredients listed above.
(5) When the prawns changed color, cover and simmer for another 5 minutes.
(6) Turn off heat.
Optional: Sprinkle spring onions before serving.